Saturday, March 19, 2022

That Crepuscular Journey.


I stabbed my feet into an indigo sand dune at dusk.

One after another, ascending to its zenith;

and there I heard the ocean's scream,

like a slowly, steadily drowning sailor.


I could not fathom why I came here, only that I did,

so I pissed on a beach shrub and covered the piss with sand.

My eyes were getting old and it was nearly night,

the headland was difficult to distinguish from the sea.


Anti-iridescent, in violet, navy, and peacoat

those screaming waves attacked the shore -

casting themselves unto oblivion,

remorseless, unfathoming, like a troupe of insects.


I too have been remorseless, I too have been a force of nature,

swishing around the corpses of men that dared to battle me.

But now I am like the earth, and I accept what is given,

and I remember. Forever. And I keep silence.


No comments: